Monday, October 17, 2011

Cone 6

Wow my small electric kiln takes a long time to reach cone 6. I'd been doing cone 1 for a while now which is about the top end of lowfire. Cone 1 makes vitreous durable pots out of low fire white clay. However the clay has a sticky feel and is not as nice to throw as cone 6 porcelain or stoneware. Besides I've got some great cone 6 recipes to go with some really great cone 6 clays that I enjoy working with. I'll continue to do cone 1 because it's fun and cheap.

I have a bunch of cone 6 porcelain that I really didn't like so I wedged in some mulcoa 47 grog 35 mesh, which stopped all the finicky problems that high spar content clays have. With about 10% added grog to the wet weight, the porcelain takes on a whole new personality. It retains it's plasticity, and gains structural integrity, and fast drying capabilities. This clay went from S cracking while drying unless you kept it under plastic for days and flipped it on the rim while it was still quite wet, to being able to throw plates and leave them until the rim and inside is leather hard, flipping and trimming the majority of the foot while wet, then coming back and finishing off the last bit once it's leather hard. Never being covered in plastic and drying in the kiln room at about 85 degrees of dry hot air in the room. I love porcelain, but the forgiving nature of a clay with grog is just so much more satisfying. With a full schedule of classes I need a forgiving clay that will wait if I want it to, but can dry quickly if I want it to as well.

I've also been making some "Patrick Horsley pots" which is really my take on his techniques. I've really been enjoying the method which has opened a whole new design element to my work that was not possible before I took his workshop. I've taken to making these figurative jars that are flattened to an oval and have a wider shoulders and body with narrower bottom half and narrow neck. I find them fun to make as well as aesthetically pleasing. The porcelain with grog has been an effective clay in making these pots.

No comments:

Post a Comment