Monday, December 13, 2010

Knife


This is probably the best pottery knife I've ever used. I modeled it after several knives produced commercially. It's made from the same rigid smoke color plexiglass as my other tools. I simply cut a long strip of plexiglass, lopped an angle for the blade off the end. Cut the edges sharp on the one side with a bench grinder. The angles funnel the clay away from the pot as it's spinning on the wheel. All of these edges are pretty sharp, but not so much that I would cut myself handling the tool. The plexiglass holds an edge for a while. I used the knife today to cut some old dry clay off a bat, then trimmed a foot in a bowl, and it looks no worse for wear. This simple yet versatile tool has become indispensable in my workshop.

1 comment:

  1. Hummmm... I need one, that´s a great ideia, tks for share! And thank you to be following my blog too. :-)

    ReplyDelete