Sunday, December 5, 2010

Tools

In an effort to have pots more personal to me I have begun to make my own tools instead of purchasing them from the store. I probably don't save any money by doing this once you take into account the time I spend, however I do enjoy the process of making tools. I wanted more than subtle texture, I wanted deep impressions in my pots. I created a tool that in a matter of seconds can make a striking pattern in the clay. The wheel can be interchanged with any number of designs. The possibilities are nearly endless in design of the wheel. Here is an example of the work I did two weeks ago.

This tool took some time to work out the geometry and measure the wheels. I used basic geometry and measuring devices such as a measuring tape and a set of calipers. After deciding on a wheel size, the wheel was measured and cut. I divided the circumference into equal parts and plotted the cuts using the calipers to measure each section. Once plotted I cut the sections out on the saw. Bolting several wheels together I secured them all to my drill press. Using a deck sander I smoothed all the wheels while spinning in the drill press. Taking some of the wheels off and replacing the bolt with just two wheels I used the sander again to shape them as the spin. Once the desired shape was acquired I assembled the tool and made the pot in this picture.

1 comment: