Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Thrown, Assembled and Altered Forms

The jar posted above is the first of the pieces made at my home studio after the workshop.

I recently attended a workshop put on by the MHCC studio showcasing Patrick Horsley. He's a NW potter who used to work with one of my long time friends Don Sprague. Pat has spent 40 years perfecting his methods and expressed why he does what he does as he worked. Don taught me the thrown and altered techniques about 13 years ago, but in my early 20's I found these technical forms difficult and tedious. When I took Pat's workshop I rediscovered the techniques Don had instilled in me early in my career. Now in my mid 30's I find these forms challenging and extremely fun to build. So far I've spent the last several days experimenting with large squished oval jars like the one pictured above.

I wholeheartedly endorse Pat's workshops, it did wonders to redirect my body of work back towards something I should have been doing for the last decade. If you have the time for a class, Don Sprague teaches a very similar technique for making these same types of pots.
 This was the second large jar I made at home. It's got a bit more shape to it, and the sides have been cut to a sharp corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment