Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Glazes

I've been doing a lot of research into midrange matte glazes. I've accumulated a fair quantity of cone 1, cone 3, and cone 6 glaze recipes. Several from a well known and popular book called Electric Kiln Ceramics by Richard Zakin. I've decided to do some line blends of a couple of his glazes. I expect to get a green/blue, a rich blue, red/yellow, red/brown, black and metallic matte glazes out of this battery of testing. It might not happen immediately because I'm trying to use a handful of materials instead of everything under the sun.

Patrick Horsley's workshop made available to me some of his glazes, however they are formulated for reduction, but I've decided to see what the red matte looks like anyway. The first tests will all go into the next load which will be fired to cone 1. While I'm shooting for a handful of very specific colors I'm preoccupied with glaze fit at the moment. I will post pictures of the tests when they come out early next week.

If you have an electric kiln you should own Richard Zakin's book:
http://ceramicartsdaily.org/bookstore/electric-kiln-ceramics/

No comments:

Post a Comment