Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Hiccup

The company who sold me the basket was out of Kansas City MO. This company sells these baskets on ebay. I chose to buy one from here because my purposes don't require that it be fresh and clean just that it be strong and straight.

Well long story short the guy tried to bait and switch me with a low shipping quote for "commercial address" then jacked up the shipping quote to almost double for a "residential fee." I told the guy to go stick it in his ear I wasn't paying double, I'd already told him I wanted lift gate service to my house before the quote. 

So I've looked around and can buy some other baskets for about the same as he was offering. I also realized I don't really need a basket, it just makes it easier to move later when I buy a house. So I did a bit of research into fencing and found a 4 gauge wire cattle panel. These come 16ft X 50" and would be plenty strong enough for my purposes. I've decided to make the first one out of these cattle panels because the cost is so cheap. 60 bucks will get me the entire outer shell including hardware to bolt it together with U-bolts.

After giving up on the trailer thing my generous aunt April is going to sell me their all metal trailer for a good deal. This does a couple of things for me. It gives me the ability to set the kiln up as originally intended, completely mobile, and it takes care of the issue of me having to prepare a ground site which was proving to be more work than I'd wanted it to be already.

Now all I have to do is figure out how I'm going to frame in the door supports. I'll probably have to get my friend Cyris to weld a simple tube frame. If I have the money I might have him weld the frame for the whole kiln which is only 8 tubes altogether.

This pen is made of a similar cattle panel to what I'm going to use to build the support structure of my kiln.

No comments:

Post a Comment