Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Vacant

My space is vacated and I'll soon be setting up shop. I purchased 500 lbs of fireclay and some mullite grog to make thick tiles for the hot face of the floor of my kiln. I'm actually going to hand mix and then pound these tiles. I'll cut them out using a template once I measure shrinkage by firing some off in my small electric kiln. I'll only be able to guess at shrinkage since I'll only be firing to cone 6 in my electric, but it should be close enough. My final kiln dimensions will be dependent on these tiles anyway. I'm going to attempt to make them 12" square and 1.25" thick. I've also decided to make back up tiles of fireclay and vermiculite which I plan to pound out and cut with a similar template. I'll follow that up with a layer of red brick for the base layer on top of the cart. Yes it's going to be a car kiln. I can't imagine making a kiln this large and loading in it nearly 4 feet deep.

No comments:

Post a Comment