Friday, June 3, 2011

Cerameconomics

In pricing out materials I've found an array of prices for the exact same materials. I'm told it's because some places purchase large quantities of materials at once and have old stock on hand which they can sell me for cheaper. Well I'm here to tell you that the guy down at Georgies who told me that can stick his stock on hand where the sun don't shine. Their prices are outrageous and I see no other reason but that they are price gouging because they are pretty much the only game in town for ceramic artists.

Up in Tacoma however I have been pleasantly surprised by not only the products offered to me by the Clay Art Center, but also their prices. Their customer service is great on weekdays when the boss is there. On weekends the head honcho is out and the place is packed with way to many customers to be effectively helped by the staff on deck. That aside it's a pleasure doing business with Clay Art Center in Tacoma. They provide me with my wet clay, dry clay, raw materials for glazes, and the best part is they're willing to put my order on the back of the next truck headed for Stark Street Studios in Portland for a reasonable fee.

No comments:

Post a Comment