Thursday, June 2, 2011

Nitride Bonded SiC

When considering the many options to build my kiln I first began to price materials. Oh boy there are a lot of materials to choose from these days. When I first started I didn't know my burner port from a whole in the ground. After some deliberation I found the cost wise Ceramic Fiber was going to be the key to my success in mobile kiln building.

I had decided to use a brick floor for durability and stability. When trying to price out bricks, I'd first looked at IFB's which I'm sure would be nice, but quite costly. I then found several deals on websites such as alibaba.com where some international company based in China posts refractories and some base price. After attempting to deal with them I quickly found that it was more trouble than it was worth. I would be quoted different prices than were posted, they didn't actually have the material on hand and were giving me "custom order" pricing. Once I realized I needed to buy local I tried to find the most local guys I could get my hands on. I had stumbled across many blogs and threads talking about many refractory companies, such as AP Green, Narco, Harbison Walker. I searched and found ANH's website online and quickly found my local supply warehouse located out on Jennifer RD in Clackamas OR. They're a good bunch of guys who sell some superior products such as the Ceramic Blanket I purchased which was made in the USA. 

I ran out of dough before purchasing bricks from Harbison Walker and had been perusing the internet looking for deals. I stumbled on another company which is extremely local Thermal Ceramics,  which has a manufacturing facility located out in the Rivergate District in N. Portland. Thermal Ceramics is the company which produces the Kaowool product that ceramic artists know so well. I purchased another product from Thermal Ceramics called Cerachem which is a 2600 degree rated blanket that I'm using as the blast face on top of the ANH blanket which is rated at 2300 degrees. After talking with Jeff for a while he and I both came to the conclusion that in my next kiln which will be a salt kiln, I should test some SiC bricks in a small test kiln. Well after giving the idea quite a bit of thought I figured I'd try them in the floor of my new oil kiln as well to see how the hold up. I decided this because they will be subjected to some of the most extreme flame conditions I can imagine. And if they don't work I'm only out a couple hundred bucks, and can just rebuild my floor with IFB's or high duty bricks with ease since the kiln is made of blanket anyway. A few hundred bucks later and I had enough bricks to build a basic kiln floor with bag walls and all. 

I really can't stress enough the impact these refractory guys have had on my project. When I started I was full of questions, and now I have still have questions, but I have some answers as well. I recommend both ANH and Thermal Ceramics for your refractory needs.


No comments:

Post a Comment