Thursday, March 3, 2011

Substitution

In the last post I mentioned some glaze testing I've been doing. I've been using digital fire (glaze calculation software) to try and formulate glazes that have materials which are no longer available or are cost prohibitive. For instance Redart is a cheap material commonly used in glazes. I tried to formulate a couple glazes with Redart in place of Barnard. Of course these two clays are not even close to the same. In manipulating the other materials I hoped to get something close. 

The pot pictured to the left is what I got, and it is actually color response wise pretty much exactly what I was expecting. However I had added another variable to the mix, trying to adapt a cone 3 glaze to cone 1. I believe what I have here will actually melt out closer to cone 4 - 6. It has small bubbles that did not heal through out the entire glaze. It's a mustard yellow that breaks chocolate brown.

I tried to apply this glaze thinly to give the two tone brown yellow, however I wanted stripes of yellow in the tool lines left behind from my shur-form. My haste with the application gave me brown with patches of yellow.



No comments:

Post a Comment