Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Blues




Cadwell's Base is a strontium crystal matte glaze that has a zirconium opacifier. The zirconium opacifier tends to make colorants lighter and more pastel in color. The strontium should form a matte crystalline structure on the surface of the pot giving a nice muted matte look over all. The mottled appearance in the glaze on these pots is my application not the glaze. I had decided to use a hand pump sprayer to apply these glazes allowing me to make less than if I were to try and dip these pots. The sprayer was a failure, but this base is a success in several ways. Color response is exactly what I was expecting, muted softer colors. Texture is a bit shinier than I had anticipated, I'm not sure why yet, but all my glazes came out much glassier Three other colors are formulated, but not fired yet, a yellow, gray and a rust red.



  • Here are two versions of the glaze in testing. 
  • The bottom is copper carbonate giving a powder blue. 
  • The top is cobalt carbonate giving a periwinkle blue. (picture is much darker than glaze)



    • Here is the periwinkle by itself, not the liner on these pots is a soft cream yellow. This liner glaze is formulated to be tough to stand up to wear and feels like teflon.



  • Here is the powder blue copper glaze note the stronger color on the rim where it overlapped the liner .



    • Here you can see the powder blue on a textured pot. The zirconium opacifier mutes texture, if this glaze were thick it would have greatly reduced the visual effect of the chatter marks from my tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment