Wednesday, March 23, 2011

R&D

We the potters in an effort to build a more perfect kiln...

I've been researching materials to build a newer type of salt kiln consisting of inner protective plates of high refractory something like used kiln shelves, wrapped in fiber blanket or board. Cordierite seems to be one of the cheaper materials on the market, but it's not the most resistant material in a caustic environment. In my current plan I chose to use both 2" fiber blanket and vermiculite board for the two outside layers. All of this is pinned down to a steel frame made of angle iron and expanded metal grate. I have yet to test the vermiculite board against caustic materials such as wood ash and soda vapor. I may end up going with just plates inside and two layers of blanket outside. I've found many different companies that produce plates that could be used, at the point it all comes down to cost v.s. useful life in the environmental kiln. I plan to make a small test kiln consisting of these materials. A lot of these materials I've found listed on alibaba.com.

One other thing I plan to try is a glass material from the UK which can be painted on the plates to create a barrier layer of glass that inhibits the corrosion of the caustic vapors from eating away at the kilns liner. All of this will go on the back of a small trailer so that it can be toted around to where ever I go. 

What ever kiln I build will be fire with waste vegetable oil (WVO) or a combination of WVO and propane. I've done some extensive web research on how some of these burners are made. In the end after trying to build my own I may decide to purchase some commercially made burners. They are extremely expensive but seem to work exceptionally better than anything I've seen. They also can burn just about anything in the lubricant isle.

Aside from the music this is a good video showing the afore mentioned commercially made burner.

Another video showing the set up and start up of the same type of burner in a furnace.

Here's a good example of a nice homemade liquid propane gas burner

Here's an example of a dual fuel burner utilizing liquid propane gas for initial start up.

This last example is more like what I've been leaning toward in my own design.


No comments:

Post a Comment