Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Oven

So I've been testing some castable recipes for my mom's Earthen Oven we've been prepping to build in her back yard. I dug through some old posts on the old clayartcenter.net forum and found several referring to a 4,4,4,1 recipe. My tests are as follows.

#1
4 Fireclay
4 Grog
4 Charcoal (Crushed)
1 White Cement

#2
4 Fireclay
4 Grog
4 Charcoal (Crushed)
1 White Cement
1 Talc

#3
4 Fireclay
4 Grog
4 Charcoal (Crushed)
1 White Cement
4 Pearlite

The original recipe called for grog ranging from dust to 4mm particles and sawdust ranging from dust to 3/8". I can get grog that size, but I had a difficult time finding combustible materials that size range. I can get dust and I can get chips, that's pretty much it. So I figured if I crushed up some of this Mesquite Natural Log style charcoal, I'd get the size range. It worked but I gotta tell ya, crushing much of anything by hand with a 8lb hammer isn't the most fun I've had. 

The Talconic Castable is really close to the original, but I was aiming to have a slightly better heat dispersion. I was also thinking it would cure at a slightly lower temperature. We'll see how it performs through the test I made. It's just a slop brick form, but it's got an arch built into the bottom so I can measure any sagging or warping that might occur. I believe this is only about 7.2% talc by weight, so it shouldn't cause too much of a problem.

My concern is the white cement I purchased. The spec sheets for the material claims it boils at about 1000C. Does this mean the castable will begin to mature near Cone 06? While I realize her oven won't get to that temperature after the initial firing to cure, I'm wondering how these guys are using white cement in Cone 10 castable kilns? Or are they using a different Cement? All the research I've done says they use white cement for earthen ovens. One post I found the guy claimed to have used a recipe from Jack Troy's book published in 1977 called Salt Glazed Ceramics. In that kiln he claims to have used white cement, and fired with salt for 10 years before the arch failed. That doesn't say how many firings. He could have only done 10 firings for all I know. I just purchased the book from Powells Books to take a look. When I do build a castable kiln, or castable slab floor (which I'm doing in the kiln I'm building now) I expect it to hold up for 100 firings or more.

Stay tuned for the results.


No comments:

Post a Comment