Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Mid-range Porcelain

A while back I decided to buy a box of pretty much every kind of Cone 5 - 7 Porcelain I could get my hands on. There were a few I couldn't get at the time, but I have like 8 different kinds that were in stock. I finally was able to drag my wheel out and get to work.

The first box I grabbed was OH - 6 made up in Tacoma at Clay Art Center. It's got good throwing capabilities, as I thew a 10" cylinder with ease right off the bat. It promptly broke down when I expanded the cylinder. I can't fault the clay too much it is porcelain after all and I was abusing it like a stoneware with grog, trying to push it to failure. 

I did make another pot, and it cracked upon drying. I got a ring crack on the bottom of the pot, which tells me that it dried too long on the bat prior to trimming. I probably need to slow the drying a bit as well, or be more attentive. I could trim quite a bit wetter. I waited until the pot was easy to trim. It had been sitting on the bat it was thrown on for about an entire day. I could probably have flipped it after 6 or 8 hours and then trimmed it between 8 and 12 hours. My garage is drafty but cool because of the big cement slab being directly on the ground. There is also an apartment built above the garage that provides protection from the sun, so it stays cool if it stays shut.

I'll have to give it a few more tests, but I still have many clays to go, so if this one proves to be too picky I've got some 35 mesh Mulcoa with it's name on it. It'll behave, one way or the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment